This Feature is hosted by the amazing Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner.
Since I started blogging in March 2013, I can’t believe it has been a year in a few months, this is my first time filling out the End of Year Book Survey. And since I love Jamie’s blog, and I adore surveys, I just can’t not participate, can I? Anyhow, here you have my survey! Beware, this is a long post! Enjoy.
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Classics – I’m going with Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. I had to reread all of her books for a big paper that I was writing and this was the best part. I enjoy all of her novels, but I just love Elizabeth Bennet! A close runner up would be Persuasion though.
Contemporary – Well, I’m just going to list three here! *sticks out tongue* You can pick which one you think I liked best, because I can’t decide for sure. Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and Another Little Piece of my Heart by Tracey Martin.
Dystopian – Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi! She just blew me away with this sequel, it was just that good! If you haven’t read it yet, go to the store and get yourself a copy. Oh! and Partials by Dan Wells (yes I’m cheating, I know)
Paranormal – Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard. I now have a gorgeous signed copy on my shelf that I am in love with. I have never been more glad to participate in a book club before, Susan Dennard is just such a wonderful person and by participating in her book club I made some new friends and got to read the awesomest zombie book ever.
Science Fiction – Definitely These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Yeah, that would be Starry Nights by Daisy Whitney. I was super excited for this one because it was about France and Art, two things that I love to pieces. Sadly enough it disappointed.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Chasing Hope by Kathryn Cushman. This was a religious read, and I requested it because the synopsis seemed interesting. I didn’t expect to much of it though, because I am not religious myself and I find that most of the time while I don’t dislike religious reads I don’t particularly love them either. This book surprised me a lot though, the religious aspect was there, but it wasn’t the main aspect of the book. The story itself was so good, I felt bad about going into it with no expectations because I know now that Chasing Hope would have lived up to them.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller. I don’t have a lot of friends that like to read, but I kept shoving it in their faces every time they asked me about reading. Some actually read it, because of my awesome recommendation, and one actually became an avid reader!
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard! Oh and Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi! and Partials by Dan Wells! Those are series that I can’t wait to finish, or not, because that’ll mean I’ll probably be stuck with a major book hangover… Oh whatever, So worth it!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Hands down, Trish Doller!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
*Tough one…* I am an easy reader I guess, I pick what interests me and that’s how I’ve always picked my books. Though the religious books where out of my comfort zone definitely and I read a -I don’t know how its called- book that helps you to realize goals you set for yourself.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Unravel Me, Insurgent, Pawn and Something Strange and Deadly! I’m sticking with those and not picking just one (that would be plain mean to put me through such a torture)!
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles, I’m just a big sucker for her books.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
When I read this book, it didn’t have a cover yet. Only later on did I notice the cover this book had gotten, and it’s perfect! Perfect for the story and just simply beautiful.
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Roar from Under the Never Sky, Kira from Partials, or Tris from Divergent. Both these characters I loved to pieces.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Unravel Me by Taherah Mafi. My god! Her writing style is so unique and beautiful!
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Allegiant by Veronica Roth. This was such a long awaited read for lots of people, and I know that a lot of people didn’t like the way it ended, but in the end I think it was fitting and after sobbing for a long time and wondering why the heck it had to end this way, I came to the conclusion that it just fit the whole series. Didn’t like it one bit, but any other ending wouldn’t have been realistic and wouldn’t have been Tris.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
I don’t know! Maybe Pushing the Limits, cause I sure as hell punched myself in the face for not reading it earlier. So yeah, Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
“I spent my life folded between the pages of books. In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”
– Unravel Me, Tahereh Mafi
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest – Macbeth by Shakespeare with 132 pages.
Longest – Fragments by Dan Wells with 564 pages. I love this book! There’s a scientific aspect to this book that is amazing!
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Anyone else thinking of Chapter 62 in Unravel Me? Seriously, I had nobody to talk with! My sister hadn’t read it and my friends aren’t really readers… It was torture! Also, Allegiants ending… Same story, just as much torture. I tweeted with some blogging friends though! But at these moment you just need a friend to cry, squeal or swoon with…
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Alexa and Marcel in Defy. I loved their sibling-ish banter, also Eleanor and Daniel *swoon*
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Oh oh! Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles!
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else
Divergent by Veronica Roth, thank you to my friends in America, you where right about it being even better than The Hunger Games!
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
That would be the Dystopian genre.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Travis from These Broken Stars, Daniel from Something Strange and Deadly, and (personal weakness here) Warner from Shatter Me.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
These Broken Stars :)
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Partials by Dan Wells, also These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, I do love a good and fun classic read. Jane Austen is known for her wit and Northanger Abbey was hilarious at times.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Don’t laugh at me, but this is a big-ass list!
Allegiant by Veronica Roth
The Fault in Our Stars by Trish Doller
Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott
These Broken Stars by Meagan Spooner and Amie Kaufman
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
and I can go on and on about books that made me cry… I’m just a very emotional reader. Yup, I’ll just go with that.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Ugh I don’t know! The thing is, there are just so many books out there and I probably overlooked quite some books *sad face*. Though I think The Healing Heart by Jennifer Howard deserves some more attention! Reading this book is what got Contemporary Romance back on the map for me and I think more people should read it!
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
Queen of contemporary, Lucy is super sweet and I just adore her blog. Also Tiffini Hunt’s blog, I got to know her a lot better and I can sincerely say that she has become a great friend of mine, she is a wonderful person and I love that the blogging community gave me the opportunity to get to know her!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
That was Another Little Piece of my Heart! I loved gushing about rock music and reading. I talked to the author as well (super sweet) and we had a great chat about music!
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Probably, Lucy’s post on Blogging and Reading Through other People’s Eyes. This was a great discussion post!
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The A Night With Lauren Kate event! My first bookish event ever (and I got my first book signed!).
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
This is a hard one for me because there were so many great moments. Like attending my first bookish event at which I met Lauren Kate. Also participating in Susan Dennard’s bookclub was awesome, I have never enjoyed Mondays more (we got the new discussion question every Monday morning). participating in the Secret Santa exchange! My first Auto-Approve on NetGalley. I can go on for a while. Overall I have had an awesome blogging year. From receiving my first ARC to all the great friends I’ve made, I started blogging in 2013 and I still love every single moment of it!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
That would be my If We Were Having Coffee post. Like I said before, I got such sweet and thoughtful comments and it really touched me. It was my first personal post in a long time and it was such a relief to get all those built up thoughts off my chest.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Probably my reviews. Honestly, they take the longest to write (actually I think this is the longest post ever, so I’d like some love on this one as well Haha) and it would be nice to see a comment every now and then. If only to confirm that they are in fact being read. I don’t mean to whine though, not at all!!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Uhm, Hell yeah! I just completed my Goodreads reading challenge! I didn’t set it until halfway in this year, so I kept it to a modest 60 books (probably not much, compared to all you over achievers) but I’m proud of myself nonetheless!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. Every time I see people talk about the book I about die from shame, because I haven’t read it yet… I ordered it, and am reading as soon as possible! *Pinky swear*
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
*muffles a laugh* This is one long list! Okay, I’ll try and do this.
Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
Panic by Lauren Oliver
Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi
The One by Kiera Cass
Ruins by Dan Wells
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
Okay, Okay, I’m stopping now… You see what the problem is? I can go on and on and on about books that I’m anticipating!
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
This one I really don’t know… Or I do and I completely forgot about it at the moment. Any recommendations?
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi and Ruins by Dan Wells!!!!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I’d like my blog to grow a little more, and get to know some more Bloggers. I am very happy with the way things are going on my blog now, after all it hasn’t even been a year! I think that I just want to develop some more as a blogger and see where things go.
And that was My End of Year Book Survey! *wipes brow* It was quite the list (very glad I started early on this) but fun to do!